These tales are about people and places in Fayette County history and will be presented by The Fayette County Historical Society by video from The Abel Colley Tavern and Museum. To view Christmas Travels In Fayette County by video click on titles.
Our first episode, Train Travel, shows a train system touring some sections of Fayette County. Other episodes include A Victorian Christmas presented in 2 parts, and People and Places of the Pike, which will include numerous episodes focused on the unique stories of "People and Places of the Pike" in Fayette County through changing vignettes and activities.
The David Gilmour Blythe Video is presented by Frank Kurtik. David Blythe was a poet, artist, sculptor, and social critic. Frank tells the story about David's life and time spent in Uniontown, Pa. There is much more about Blythe's life is on display at The Abel Colley's Tavern and Museum.
This video shows portraits by Blythe. This is only a few of his amazing protaits amongst a wide array of paintings, but captures his sense of personal connections to the subjects.
One of the current displays at The Abel Colley Tavern and Museum is about the Green Tree Tavern. The tavern was built in the early 1800's and the uncertainty of the original proprietor and the date of the original structure remains a mystery, at some point Abel Colley, son of Peter Colley, owner of the Peter Colley Tavern in Brier Hill, became the owner, expanded the business, and operated the business until the tavern was destroyed by fire sometime prior to 1850. This tavern was located on the National Road between Uniontown and Brownsville. The second part will give insight into the type of meal that would have been served to guests at taverns in Fayette County and this one is representative of The Green Tree Tavern on the National Road. Part 3 gives a closer look at the table with a touch of tavern music, while you enjoy your meal.
The Historical Society would also like to thank the Mon-Yough Chapter who have been undertaking excavation at the Green Tree Tavern site since May 2019 and suppling artifacts for the current exhibit. Excavations will continue at the tavern site starting in May, 2021 and continue until after Labor Day. Volunteers are welcome, as well as visitors. No prior fieldwork experience is required. Also thanks to John Nass, Jr. for including the Fayette County Historical Society's information in the The Mon-Yough Archaeology Chapter #3 - Society for Pennsylvania Archeology 2021 Issue 1 Newsletter.
Below is an aerial view of the excavation of the tavern by members of the Mon-Yough Chapter.
An upcoming episode, called The Black Horse Tavern, gives insight into how this tavern played a part in the 1793 Whiskey Rebellion when farmers rebelled against tax collectors to protest a new liquor tax. President George Washington called out the militias to restore order. However, they were talked out of any violent action by Albert Gallatin the owner of Friendship Hill.
The Black Horse Tavern story tells you about the portraits of Jonathan and Mary Ann Sterling who lived in Masontown, Pa. Also, a story about Amelia Matilda Thomas Hook and her husband Peter Hook and why is stands alone in The Black Horse Tavern. There will be more to come on Amelia, Peter Hook and Hugh Gorley in upcoming videos.
Watch for more videos telling stories about a wide range of people, from the wealthy to the ordinary, from good to evil. See photographs and hear stories of the National Road and how it provided a route through the mountains of the county for settlers heading west. Go to a shipyards in Brownsville on the Monongahela River, which provides for both the domestic and international trade. Below a picture of the Rush Tavern as it once stood on the National Road in Farmington. Photo from "Thomas B. Searight's The Old Pike" by Joseph E. Morse and R.Duff Green published by Green Tree Press in 1971.
In the 2021 exhibit at the Abel Colley Museum and you will also learn about people like Thomas Searight, William Hatfield, the Pike Boys, and many others.
The name turnpike comes from a large pole or pike across the road to stop traffic. As fees were paid, the pike was turned to allow travelers to go through – thus, “turnpike”. If enterprising young people of the National Road, called Pike Boys or others went around the pike, they were known as “pikers”, for they were too cheap to pay the toll.
There is a very interesting story about William Hatfield in a book by Thomas B. Searight of the same family of the tollhouse. The book was written in 1894 about the National Road. Everything and anything you want to know about the National Road is included in this book. The book is called The Old Pike, A History of the National Road, With Incidents,Accidents, and Anecdotes Thereon, and is currently in reprint.
Accordingly to Searights’ book there were 294 taverns in a 300 mile span from Baltimore to Wheeling. Taverns were like today’s hotels and motels, from the Hilton to Motel 6, they catered to the very rich and to the very poor. The social standing of the travelers led to a distinction among the taverns. Different classes of people traveled and there was a tavern to fit all needs.
The first type and highest in social standing was the stagecoach tavern catering to the Carriage Trade. Here the traveler could eat, sleep, and drink. These taverns were usually imposing stone or brick buildings. Nearby were large stabling facilities since the stage horses were changed several times a day and teams had to be ready each day.
The next type of tavern accommodated the wagoners, who usually carried their bedding with them and often slept on the tap-room floor. These wagon stands needed large yards for these enormous wagons. The Conestoga wagon, which is built like a ship, was a common sight to the National Road. They hauled manufactured goods from the cities on the Atlantic seaboard to towns and business in the west. These freighters, the 18-wheeler of that time, returned to the east with materials from farms, and products from the mines to keep factories in operation.
Drover stands were for the men who herded sheep, hogs, some horses and cattle to market. You could see 2,000 to 3,000 animals being moved along the National Pike. The places they stayed had large enclosed pens for the livestock to be turned into each night. Hopefully this would prevent them from wandering off, or being killed by larger animals, or not be stolen by rustlers.
Travelers also journeyed by horseback. People were moving west and any shanty or shed that accommodated travelers overnight were included in the count of Searights’ book “The Old Pike”. As you travel Route 40 today there are many of these commodious stage coach taverns still standing.
Comments of the National Road “ the rougher the road and the faster the schedule, the worse the ride.” Passengers in a stage coach would travel 60 to 70 miles a day stopping every 10 to 15 miles for a team of fresh horses. The carriage had steel tires, no springs and seats of hard boards, holding up to six to nine passengers. If the coach was full it would be a better ride.
Step back to the days of prohibition for a Speakeasy Night, Thursday, TBA at the Abel Colley Tavern. The event will be an evening of the stories of Speakeasies in the county. Hear about the forced closure of the Savoy and the Columbo, two of Uniontown’s saloons. You will be served bar food that you may have been served in 1922 along with COCA-COLA, the sociable drink of the day. The society will not be serving alcohol. Tickets are $12.00 and will be sold through Eventbrite, watch for details.
Take a tour of local cemeteries and graveyards, where senators and congressmen are resting. Find out the stories behind some of the most interesting tombstones in the county and some of the forgotten resting places of just ordinary families. The complete list of graveyards and cemeteries will be posted soon. Watch the wedsite for details.
The Searights Tollhouse opened in 1835 and was built because of the National Road. This was the first road built entirely by the Federal government and was commissioned by Congress in 1806, under the administration of Thomas Jefferson, with large support from the Secretary of Treasury, Albert Gallatin and Statesman Henry Clay. The tollhouse is situated at Mile Marker 68 at 7328 National Pike East.
The road started in Cumberland, Maryland in 1811 and was completed to Wheeling, VA, which is now West Virginia, in 1818. To build the road, hills were leveled and huge stones hauled away, trees toppled, underbrush cut back, stumps pulled, and roots grubbed out to make a clearing 66 feet wide. Ditches and culverts were also excavated along the sides of the road for water drainage. The road was covered with measured stones, then covered with sand and gravel.
This road was very important in the development of the United States and was called the National Road and the Cumberland Road, but more affectionately known as the Old Pike. The cost of the road was over $13,000 a mile.
As soon as it was opened a tremendous amount of traffic started to travel the road. Twenty four coaches could be seen at one time, including huge canvas covered freight wagons with large broad wheels which were pulled by six Conestoga horses, which were visible all-day and even into late evening. Drovers with thousand of animals were pushed along on way to market. It was said “looks more like a leading avenue of a great city than a road through a rural countryside.”
With all this traffic and no maintenance, the road began to fall apart. The Federal government, seeing the problem and wanting out of the road business did it over again in the Macadam System of road building. John MacAdam came from Scotland and all the roads in England were built in this fashion. The roadbed was raised above ground level to allow for drainage and to slow erosion. Several layers of crushed stone were laid and compacted by the traffic that rolled over it, creating a solid surface.
Once the road was in good condition it was given to the individual states – Maryland, Pennsylvania, and Virginia. These states were so proud of their newly refurbished road they placed iron obelisk markers every mile of the road from Cumberland to Wheeling.
The road necessitated the building of tollhouses to collect fees for the upkeep of the road. Tollhouses were every 15 miles, with two in Maryland and six in Pennsylvania and along the road in Virginia. Most of them were made from bricks, but two were of native cut stone. The Petersburg Tollhouse, also known as Gate Number One in Addison, Pennsylvania was built of stone. It was the first Toll Gate after crossing the Maryland Line into Pennsylvania. The second was the tollhouse located near Fort Necessity, which is no longer standing.
The Searights Tollhouse, also called Gate Number Three, was named for William Searight, a prominent Fayette County resident who was the commissioner of the National Road in Pennsylvania from 1842 to 1845. Searight was later the commissioner of the National Road as well, but only in Fayette County.
The tollhouses were built with a room above the main room of the building that was used as a bedroom. At one time, the toll keeper for the Petersburg Tollhouse had 2 adults and 13 children using the one bedroom. A very crowded area, but the toll keeper could get a good view of the road and on coming trafic.
Three of the tollhouses are still in existence, our Searights Tollhouse, Addison Tollhouse, and the tollhouse located in LaValle, west of Cumberland, MD.
Great iron gates attached to tall iron obelisk posts were hung at the tollhouses to collect fees for the maintenance of the National Road.These gates were made by William Hatfield, a blacksmith by trade. He served many years as a Justice of the Peace and subsequent to 1855 served a term as Associate Judge.
Fayette County, carved from Westmoreland County in 1783, was named for the Marquis de Lafayette, the French hero who aided the American colonists in their fight for freedom from England. Early exploration and mapping of the rich forests and fertile valleys of this region was done by Thomas Cresap and Christopher Gist in 1750-51 working with the native Americans . Gist built his home on a large tract of land known as Gist Plantation, near the current site of the Isaac Meason House, a National Historic Landmark near Mt. Braddock. He joined Wendell Brown and sons who had earlier settled in the western part of the county . Gist left the area with George Washington after the defeat at Fort Necessity, but his son Thomas Gist returned and reclaimed their property after the end of the French and Indian War. Other early settlers were Col. William Crawford, also a friend of Washington's, who came to the area in 1765 and built a log cabin where Braddock Road crossed the Youghiogheny River, near Connellsville.
On January 22, 2012, an article called Has Anyone Seen The Spanish Lady, written by Frances Borsodi Zajac, appeared in The Herald Standard Newspaper. This article is about the facts of the Spanish influenza written in the book, Had Anyone in Fayette County Seen the Spanish Lady, written by Dennis Ballas, a lifelong resident of German Township. Dennis is a retired history teacher and a very active member of the Fayette County Historical Society.
Reading this book during our current struggles with the Coronavirus is an eye opener to what people 102 years ago lived through, without the aid of technology to keep them informed. The Coronavirus has become a danger to everyone in the world not just Fayette County.
This book tells the story of the 1918-19 Spanish influenza pandemic, which killed more people than World War I (1914-18). It is estimated that about 500 million people or one-third of the world’s population became infected with this virus. The number of deaths was estimated to be at least 50 million worldwide with about 675,000 occurring in the United States More people died of influenza in a single year than in four years of the Black Death Bubonic Plague from 1347-1351. Ballas began studying the Spanish influenza when doing research for his first book, I Remember German, on German Township history. He discovered an article in a German Township High School annual about the flu, noting the high school building had been used as an emergency hospital.
It also includes a vast amount of information from local newspapers, including the Daily News Standard, forerunner of the Herald Standard Newspaper based in Uniontown, as well as the Daily Courier and Weekly Courier in Connellsville. Dennis also received assistance from the staffs at Uniontown Public Library, Carnegie Free Public Library in Connellsville and German-Masontown Public Library. Read how all Fayette County schools were closed, along with churches, theaters, soda fountains and other businesses all closed to stop the spread of disease. But transportation, such as streetcars and railroads, remained running, and with a war waging, there was no stopping coal production. Had Anyone in Fayette County Seen the Spanish Lady?’ includes sketches by the late Karen Roderick Tummons of Masontown and period photographs.
The Fayette County Historical Society has books for sale and they can be purchased for $30.00, which includes postage. if interested in purchasing Had Anyone in Fayette County Seen the Spanish Lady? contact Fayette County Historical Society at email@example.com attention Mary Kay or go to the Society Shop link listed in above menu for details on payments. Be sure to check out our complete list of books for sale along with other items in our gift shop.